Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Driving Trainer

This is the story of my driving trainer, middle Age Arabic man, Syrian to be precise. This guy, with moderate English in disdhasa (long white rope-traditional Arab men wears), has been a good trainer all the way. He managed to teach me to park in the most difficult way that I’ve never imagined can do.

At the first week, on the way home we met his brother who is also the driving trainer at one traffic light. Then he said that he has three brothers in Kuwait. Responsively I asked, ‘How many brothers and sisters you have?’ To my surprise, he looked hesitance to answer for couple minutes before finally answering, “I have eleven… brother”. Wooww I said, then he continued,”.. And 14 sisters..!” and he giggled happily. What a big family! And I learned that he has 25 siblings with three mothers. Yup, classic polygamy in Middle East country.

When I asked how many kids he has, he smiled again before answering. I for got how many exactly, but for sure it’s more than 10, even though less than 20.And off course from more than one wife. At that time he said he has two wives in Syria. But that story soon to be revised in the following week, when he admitted that actually he has three wives! The first one is at 40, second one at 31, and last one is merely young women at 21! I guess he has the policy of getting marry each decade!hahahaha

The thing is he still wants to get marry for the fourth time as he still has the quota to do that as a Muslim. What a classic and nice statement. This is because all the three wives lives far away in Syria, while he’s alone busy making money in Kuwait. He rarely sees them, like two months in a year. This leaves him lonely and abandoned during the rest of ten months. With a very nice smile and giggle he said he is to find nice young lady to be his companion in Kuwait, someone below 20 may be. Not sure whether he’s joking or not though about the age, but he seems pretty determine to get a new wife.

I guess the culture has played significantly in how he runs his life and values stuff. Grew up in a big polygamy family, that’s the values that planted in his head. Culture blessing, partial understanding of the verses of Holy Qur’an , and the availability of women for Polygamy give him no reason to see why shouldn’t he go for the joy of Polygamy

For me, I just do not understand how then he would provide sufficient education for the children. School and day to day education at home for all the conduct, manner, emotional quotient, and spiritual life. After all he is the Father, who has to contribute enough in every step all the way of his children. But it seems that a father role has been narrowed to be a bread winner, and the right of sexual harvest of his wives. A bit too sarcastic I know..

After all nobody is perfect right, I might object the way he value marriage, but I really honor him in some other important stuff. He’s such a hard worker, punctual, and very committed to his student both for the session quality and time. He will never corrupt the time of a session for example.

Different portrait, different route, different way, different life … Which are yours?






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

different country, different prey...hehehe

Anonymous said...

Its either his salary is very high to cover living expense of such a big family or the family dont expect much from him (especially in term of time) or both

Anonymous said...

either/or then