Monday, December 03, 2007

My First… Inspection



Finally I got a chance to meet face to face with local authority Inspector. One of the small legal entities prefers to have the Company representative presence instead of just dealing with the Advisor. I was kind of excited and a curious wondering how this will goes.

The inspection takes place at our Advisor office at the city. And yes we were late, luckily the traffic can always to be blamed. There were four of us, my self, my staff, the advisor and the inspector. And one thing to be stressed is that three of them are male Egyptian. And to make it more fun, the inspector doesn’t speak English!!

Three hours last with only half of the time discussing the business. The rest of times, it was like variety talk show. They were gossiping about how low class is the previous inspector who happen to be Kuwaiti Bedouin, the first love of the inspector, his hobby for fishing, and so many other stuff which were not translated to the poor me who look like slightly better than the files. Just being in the room almost useless and lost in the Arabic Chat! Hahaha. One strong turkish coffee and arabic tea were my center of my attention when i was lost in translation

This inspector is known as one of the best inspector in Kuwait, and he even admit that he is the best Egyptian tax inspector back in year 2004. But yet he missed the most basic check of the revenue cycle and he even proudly state that he against those procedures. Hmm.. good for me!hahaha

One other note besides the above is that these Egyptian fellows amaze me. My staff and the Advisor can talk long and (sounds) detail of the business of the company inspected, throw various assumption on the expenses with very convincing gesture and face expression. What they know in few simple sentences just before the meeting can be translated into pages of argument! I guess it’s just in the blood. And amazingly the inspector buy that.
I guess I have to re-consider my harsh action plan to my staff by end of the year, he proved him self to be quite useful during the inspection process.

No comments: